Wednesday 25 April 2018

Your favourite piece of technology

"The future depemds on what you do today"  Mahatma Gandhi
As a time traveler, I have witnessed significant changes in the quality of man's life and his surroundings.

Radio-Pick Up, 1950's
During my childhood, the radio set was a magnificent piece of furniture that occupied an important place in the lounge; music, news, and even radio dramas from novels and films, recreated and transported me into a magical scenery... the sound of words and melodies created in my mind a world of my own, just as reading does. I marveled at the existence of this last century device that had not only a radio receptor, but also a turntable (earlier called pick up) used to play and listen to your own vinyl records...!

Radio programs, books, magazines and films were the main source of information and entertainment that led me to dream of gadgets for instant transportation into futuristic places together with plenty of "impossible" ideas, such as a device to watch films at home...!  Before graduating at the university, some "impossible" devices were already available and, from then on, the impossible-to-possible inventions became a trend in various areas.

Sony Walkman Family
I am lucky to live a time when technology has made great leaps into the future...or present... Many devices are now common at everyone´s home; television sets, computers, microwave ovens, smartphones, satellite TV programs, washing machines, robots, drones, and many other useful smart devices have changed our life so much and are so common, that people don't get surprised by their appearance, but surely miss them when they disappear... at least for a short time.  I still have good memories of the Walkman cassette player, diskettes, Atari computer, VHS tapes, and numerous inventions that have made our life richer, but have disappeared after a short time to leave space to new breakthroughs... 

Ingenuity and wisdom
I wonder how Jules Verne and Leonardo da Vinci would feel in our technological society today;  they would probably be excited at the possibility of travelling into outer space or under the sea; they would be developing stories and/or helping engineers to create new machines or systems for a better world; they would surely be enjoying all the advances reached and having problems to tell what their favourite pieces of technology are.  

Anyway, I actually do have a problem in mentioning just one piece of technology; smart TVs and computers are perhaps the pieces of technology that I daily use and enjoy. Smart TVs permit to watch series, films, news from all over the world, learn from different cultures, have fun ... at your own pace. And computers? They have become an essential tool at home and at work to play, learn and teach; they have allowed me to create a website for all those interested in Scientific English and blogs such as this as a teaching-learning tool;  they are essential to find information, send/receive emails, prepare material for work and an endless number of activities. 

While Jules Verne would certainly be happy with such a useful instrument for writing his works, Leonardo da Vinci would be exploring its use in ways I cannot imagine, but most probably saying "if I had a computer in my time, life would certainly be different today..." And I cannot but agree with this alleged thought. 

Now its your turn:

What your favourite piece of technology is.
When you got it
How you use it.
How often you use it.
Why you like it.
What life would be like without it.

Minimum length : 140 words.
Remember to make comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and 1 comment on the teacher's post.

50 comments:

  1. I think technology is a great tool to learn new things and make life easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn,
      Computer software has made learning easier than ever.
      See you,

      Delete
  2. The computers is my favourite piece of technology !! <3 <3 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      They are an essential tool in everyone's life.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. Radio is a great piece of technology but I prefer Computers. I will write about computer soon, I Hope you read my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlos,
      I will read it... Thank you.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. I think the radio is very important ... It inform and entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      The radio is probably one of the top ten invention of man.
      See you,

      Delete
  5. i use the radio in my house for hear music, more than my cell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomás,
      Radio is essential to me too...
      See you,

      Delete
  6. I think the technology are very important today, to help to learn, and make the life lots easy that in the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graciela,
      And life has changed so much in the last 50 years than in the previous last 200 years...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. I do not know what I would do if I did not have my computer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      We would spend much longer making calculations and information would be in the libraries... encyclopedias would be loved...
      See you,

      Delete
  8. It´s true that the technologic instruments with the passage of the time begin to become obsolete.
    The good thing of this is that one remembers that this device was useful in his moment. Do you conserve some like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camilo,
      I have a small collections of modern gadgets that are old-dated...
      See you,

      Delete
  9. i like listen the football matches by the radio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      The football players run faster...
      See you,

      Delete

  10. I think radio is the most important technological object.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Many people would agree with you... I do.
      See you,

      Delete
  11. My mom feels the same way about the radio but with the current advances he lost that magic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      The magic stays in your mind.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. i still i have VHS tapes and they are great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diego,
      It's hard to think that they have disappeared.
      See you,

      Delete
  13. in my opinion I think that computers are very important in our society as well as cell phones, because they help us with jobs, but they take much of our time so there is little comumunication with our families. :((

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bastián,
      Life is self-centred today...unfortunately...
      See you,

      Delete
  14. What a pitty that artifacts like cassette player and diskettes are disappearing, even the radio is in danger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iván,
      It's sad to me too. But progress demand changes....
      See you,

      Delete
  15. My brother had Walkman cassette player :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola,
      He is still a romantic person...
      See you,

      Delete

  16. beautiful reflection on july verne and leonardo da vinci, we have to take advantage of the technology of these times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Technological advances are awesome, but changes are so fast that I cannot keep the good memories of them for a long too.
      See you,

      Delete

  17. It must be great for you to see the evolution of technology through the years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      The advantage of becoming older and older...
      See you,

      Delete
  18. It is amazing how technology advances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nataly,
      Ant it is faster and faster...
      See you,

      Delete
  19. The sound on the vinyl is fantastic! No modern device can ever match it ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giselle,
      I appreciate a romantic person... you're right... they sound better than other devices.
      See you,

      Delete
  20. Technology surprises us every day!
    my dad had a walkman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trinity,
      I'm sure, he still misses it.
      See you,

      Delete
  21. In my house the radio is very important because my dad every weekend listen music and dancing, obviously all family to do it :D jsja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karolay,
      But you can use your earphones to listen to your own music... And he could do the same...
      See you,

      Delete
  22. Of course that Leonardo da vinci and Jules Verne they would be helping engineers to create new machines or systems for a better world!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      I am watching them doing them ...
      See you,

      Delete
  23. When I was a child I had a walkman sony cd player and a cassette player 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine,
      And do you keep good memories of them?
      See you,

      Delete

  24. I love music but did not use the radio, I usually use my cell phone to listening to music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      The radio in the smartphone... progress and progress
      See you,

      Delete
  25. If Leonardo da Vinci was still alive, I couldn't imagine how many wonderful things he could do thanks to the technology that we have today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francisca,
      He would be greater than ever... don't you think so?
      See you,

      Delete