Thursday 19 April 2018

Why did you choose this career?

"To be or not to be,  that is the question"  William Shakespeare

Our future ...
Big decisions usually find yourself at a crossroads; especially when you are a teenager and your future professional life depends on your wise determination today. This is when you realize that you are a young adult with a huge responsibility...your future. But did it happen that you didn´t know what to study when you finished high school?

When I was at primary school, I thought of becoming a doctor, an architect, an engineer and also … a cartoonist (an artist in drawing cartoons). Cartoon magazines—Disneyland, Condorito, Mickey mouse—were quite common for everyone…

Science, technology and more...
During high school, I developed a liking for languages, mainly English, and science, particularly through the subjects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Computers did not exist and Internet existed only in my dreams; but, I have dear memories of my  teacher of biology who was then the Wikipedia/Internet application that opened my mind to biology, pushing me to uncover the mysteries of life; I also have wonderful memories of the chemistry lab sessions and I still have an excellent book of physics with plenty of information to fill my need of learning.

What would I study when I finished high school? Well, I must say that the possibilities were not many. Why? Simple, money. Although you could start almost any career, some of them were, and still are, quite expensive. Medicine, engineering and architecture demanded expensive materials that my family could not afford. So, as English was—and still is—important, I decided to learn English following the teaching profession.

I became a teacher of social English and had the opportunity and luck of having training in scientific English  as part of my studies at the university. This training in scientific English brought me to the Fac. of Chemical
and Pharmaceutical Sciences; has allowed me to work in various fields at different places (Economics, Nutrition, Medical Technology, Civil Engineering ...); has permitted me to be the editor of a Scientific English Newsletter; and also be visiting Professor in academic activities.

My liking of English, teaching, and science is evidenced through the design and creation of a website with Scientific English exercises.  So, as you may see, English and Science have united in the end. 


&&&&&

Now, it's your turn
Tell me about:
- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have

Word count: 130 words
REMEMBER: Leave comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and on your teacher's post as well.

49 comments:

  1. It´s good that you have followed your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's pretty hard to choose your future when you are only 18, when I was younger I was pretty sure of what I wanted to study but I changed my mind after 5 years of studying my old career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn,
      It's OK to change your mind, you have to find the best for your future.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. medicine and cartoons, You liked a very differents areas, do you draw at present?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlos,
      Quite different indeed... I do not draw at present, maybe in the future...
      See you,

      Delete
  4. A cartoonist, I would also loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      When I was a kid, comics such as Disneyland, Condorito, ... were quite common... and drawing was an interesting hobby.
      See you,

      Delete
  5. I would also thought becoming a doctor when I was a Little Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayleen,
      We as kids want to heal everyone...
      See you,

      Delete
  6. That happiness that love him his career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nataly,
      You should try to do your best in what you do... It's sound for your body and mind.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. i thought you were just teaching in the Faculty of Chemical
    and Pharmaceutical Sciences :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      My job is in our Faculty for some years now.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. is very sad, that you not study your dream career because you dont have money, but in this situation was for better, beacuse if you would studied other career, you are would not our professor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      Thank you... Try to be happy in what you do ... it is the best medicine....
      See you,

      Delete
  9. Ohhh! when i was in the school, I drew comics with a friend in the classes and also at the school I developed my love for the sciences, but i don´t like so much physics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bastián,
      I have dear memories of most of my teachers... they made and impression on me.. The classes of physics were not the most attractive to me, but I enjoyed reading books of physics..
      See you,

      Delete
  10. I think that is really hard to choose a carrer when we have 18 years old. But is really important follow his dreams, and fight for them.
    Are you draw now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the system pressure us to choose what we want very young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine
      No matter how old you are, choosing the "proper" career is always hard.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. that great to have interests so different areas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      I am sure you also have interest in various subjects.
      See you,

      Delete
  13. I also when I was at primary school, I thought to study architecture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      As kids we usually want to create, build and destroy things...
      See you,

      Delete
  14. Did you ever thought about learning another language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diego,
      Yes, I have... but you have to commit to doing it well... and that demands time and patience.
      See you,

      Delete
  15. I can appreciate your big vocation like teacher, this is the most important thing at the teaching time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iván,
      Nice to know that you think so.
      See you,

      Delete
  16. I also liked biology and chemistry when i studied in high school

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      Learning about life and living things is great....!
      See you,

      Delete
  17. Did you studied some semester abroad?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a shame when we decide what study, we have to think about the money. I hope in the future to this no happen, and that everybody have a free and quality education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fran,
      Life is not easy... you have to commit yourself to do your best...
      See you,

      Delete
  19. It's never too late! you could follow your dream drawing and make it your hobbie ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gisselle,
      It's never late... Keep it in mind...
      See you,

      Delete
  20. Pretty story!

    PD: My name is Fabiola haha.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wonderful, how could you put together both areas that you like!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It´s very interesting your history for all the areas that you liked, but most important is that you are happy doing what you do, your choice was the correct.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also had doubts about my future 💧

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      Only a few of us know exactly what they want to study....
      See you,

      Delete
  24. I love cartoon especially tom and Jerry and i also wanted to be cartoonist, but I am not very good drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karolay,
      You can always be better in what you intend to do .... perseverance is the key...!
      See you,

      Delete