Thursday 9 August 2018

Our smart brain and its mysteries

"Everyone walks by him, moving randomly and watching nowhere...images like thieves moving in his mind come and go...perhaps illusions that will fade away any minute..."

In times of loneliness, our imagination is a faithful company. We create our own friends who will be what we want them to be: someone to talk to, to love, to care, to hate, to dismiss, to feel pity on, to play with...

Our smart brain provides the input to satisfy our needs. This situation lasts for some time until someone from the actual world talks to you and you realize your own existence and importance. A smiling face in front of you can take you away from your abstract world and be a good company for a while. But, if you are not in the mood,  you shortly afterwards look through that face and immerse again in your own imaginary world. The smiling face says goodbye and fades away, while you only want to dream away...

Today is an awesome day. Early this morning I realized that the sun shines over me, the sky is bluer, the grass is greener, birds fly and sing, the weather is warmer, people walk and greet me. I smile back and say nice words to everyone along the street. I am in the mood for smiling, talking, touching, watching, feeling. I call a friend to have lunch with... It seems that my brain has shifted from the inner, private space to the outer, common place; perhaps it needs input to enrich its library with information from the outside world.

At noon, I enjoy my lunch, sometimes a brunch, in a cozy cafeteria; a good-looking girl waits on me and brings a dish that seems to be better than earlier ones. By the time I get home, I recall the activities done with a feeling of being in command, in closer contact with the real world.

But I wonder if I was in command of my decisions. Scientists have observed that mental processes occurring in our brain are faster than our (sometimes crucial) thoughts or decisions, e.g., when crossing a street, you jump away from a high-speed car before you realize that you are in danger of being hit by the car, even before thinking of the danger, otherwise you might be dead.

What about lunch, sex, sleep, .... ? Hormones and neurotransmitter cells are in charge of stimulating us to take some actions and others to delay or stop them. Thus, when we have lunch, dopamine is produced in the brain, giving you a sense of pleasure and stimulating you to go on eating. If you have eaten too much, another kind of neurotransmitter counteracts dopamine and you stop eating.

A few neurotransmitter cells
Significant changes occur during childhood, but as teenagers, and later as adults, you feel the urge of touching, kissing, loving the opposite sex. Why? Hormones and neurotransmitters are sending messages to brain cells to trigger the sex drive that will eventually lead to reproduction, and thus preservation of the human species... and here serotonin, another neurotransmitter, keeps you pleased as oxytocin and vassopresin help in creating a stronger bond with your partner.

Adrenaline is another neurotransmitter that plays an important role in our lives. Just an example: if you have been severely injured, this neurotransmitter gives you enough strength to withstand acute pain until help comes and/or pain subsides...

So, if my brain et al. are in charge of most of the living  processes, what decisions can I make?

I want to believe that I make the most important decisions in life, such as the kind of person I want to be, the girl I marry, the healthy dish I should have for lunch, the kind of book I want to read, the places I want to visit, the exercises I want to do to keep fit,  the number of hours I want to sleep,the career I want to study, ... are part of my free will.

And I always will be grateful to the mental processes ocurring in the 1.4 kg brain encased in the skull of my head, which is the major organ of the central nervous system and controls most processes and permits that I enjoy living.

Help our faithful brain et al., by having a healthy diet and doing exercises, preventing stroke and other undesirable illnesses.


Now it's your turn:

What organ(s)/system(s)/substance(s) /sense(s) of the human body is (are) amazing to you. Why.
What role it plays
Where it is located.
What size it has.
What illnesses can alter its normal functioning.
How you can help to keep it healthy.

or

Mental disorders or diseases

Name main characteristics of the mental disorder you are writing about.
Population that is prone to have it. (male, female, kids, old people)
Treatment used to control it.
Impact on work force of the mental disorder you describe.
Impact on familyo ,, ,
Impact on society
Add any additional information to find relevant

Minimum numbers of words: 190

46 comments:

  1. The brain is very interesting, in physiology We're seeing hormones linked to the responses of the brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomás,
      I notice that you enjoyed the subject... Good for you!
      See you,

      Delete
  2. I think the brain is a magnificent organ ... thanks to the brain , our body it can work completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javiera,
      Our body is such a complex and interesting system that we cannot but feel admiration...
      See you,

      Delete
  3. I imagined many things as a boy, I do not know what happened to me :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      You mean that your imagination is shrinking...? I can´t believe that...
      See you,

      Delete
  4. the body not controls the brain, the brain controls the body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's aweosome each functions that the brain can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Iván,
      The brain is a wonderful organ that we are still far from understanding deeply...
      See you,

      Delete
  6. i believe that my organism doesn't control the dopamine, because i never lose my appetite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francisca,
      Dopamine is produced not only as a reward after eating, but also after many other desirable activities.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. The brain is amazing, so I try not to damage it, with excess in alcohol and drugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bastián,
      That's great...We should all keep from drinking alcohol, smoking cigarettes and obviously, taking harder drugs.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. The brain is one of the most incredible organs, it's something like "the big boss"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will follow your advice and exercise to help my brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      There are so many ways to help our brain... it's just a matter of trying to do our best in our daily activities...
      See you,

      Delete
  10. Our brain is really amazing and fantastic <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graciela,
      There are many easy-to-read books that could give us a better understanding of such a noble organ...
      See you,

      Delete
  11. Is a wonderful and interesting organ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine,
      I agree with you... and yet there is much to be learned about it.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. We need more serotonine to enjoy a lot the life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      Neurotrasmitters can work miracles... serotonine, dopamine, adrenaline.... all of them are essential to enjoy life.
      See you,

      Delete
  13. The human brain is incredible, thanks to him we can do many things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlos,
      The brain is certainly one of the most important organs of the human body.
      See you,

      Delete
  14. I think the brain never stops surprising us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renato,
      And all started with a bunch of molecules...
      See you,

      Delete
  15. I hope that one day we can use our brain in 100% imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gisselle,
      There are many estimations, but I still don't know what is the average percentage that we use.
      See you,

      Delete
  16. I think the brain it's amazing organ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola,
      Live and learn ... How much will we know about this organ in, say, 20 years now?
      See you,

      Delete
  17. Our body is incredible, I do not stop amazed with what I learn about it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      Nice to know you liked the post...
      See you,

      Delete

  18. how wonderful are the functions of our brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marianela,
      And the functions are so diverse ...!
      See you,

      Delete
  19. is the organ to which we owe everything ... it's incredible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trinity,
      It's most likely so, but give some merit to the other parts and organs of the body.... (Anyway, the brain is the one)
      See you,

      Delete
  20. it's so complex and special that we can create a world with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      Not only one but many worlds that may be meaningful to us...
      See you,

      Delete
  21. Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      The brain receives input and produces output of quite a different nature... it is indeed amazing...!
      See you,

      Delete
  22. Hi Nataly,
    It's incredible that such a small organ be able to control such an endless number of functions.
    See you,

    ReplyDelete
  23. The magnificence of nature and life. Our brain and in general our body are worthy of these words.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The human brain is great, i think it's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete