Friday 20 July 2018

Music in our lives...!

Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without 
Confucius

Have you ever wondered about the kind of music, melody, song, tune ... you first listened to? Most likely you were not born yet. Women use to sing to their unborn babies during pregnancy and some are fond of playing music from the radio (eg classical music for the Mozart effect) to let him/her enjoy music from the very beginning.

Most newly born babies happily eat, sleep and listen to music; when they are a few months old, they start clapping the rhythm of the melodies with their hands; and when they can walk, they have original ways of dancing the music they listen to.

When you are a young adult, you have developed preferences that are far from those in your childhood; however, you may sometimes feel comfortable with the "childish" music you have to hear when you are at a birthday party of some relative's or friend's son or daughter.

As we grow, we change our preferences and we develop our own taste. If you have parents fond of classical music or any other kind of music, you might have developed a liking for such kind of music. Have you ever found yourself humming a song that you don't like? ...the music you listened to when you were younger was recorded by your brain and sometimes it leaks out ...

Einstein on Mozart's music
I enjoy almost any kind of music. Depending on the mood, I listen to classical music such as Symphony 40, Mozart, or "Remembrance from the Alhambra" played by any famous guitarist; sometimes Calypso music (from Jamaica folklore) by Harry Belafonte; Rock and Pop music, such as songs from Bee Gees; Salsa, from a wide variety of famous singers and bands; Jazz from many players; or the Dutch symphonic metal compositions of EPICA. Like most of you, my preferences vary widely, since music is part of the joy in our lives.

Music in films is also essential, not only in musical films, such as The Sound of Music and Chicago; but also as the background score that gives a special atmosphere to a film, such as the movie soundtrack of the Lord of the Rings. Analyses of the musical scores of each of the films of the trilogy have been made to uncover hidden messages that certainly enrich the story.


The guitar, the piano, the violin are my favourite instruments; however, I must confess I play none of them. I enjoy dancing a bit of rock and roll and  salsa... I wonder if I would enjoy watching a ballet, I have never been to one. 

To my surprise, I enjoyed watching the musical films Mamma Mia and Les Miserables; both have wonderful musical scores and interpretations.... and the former is still on stage right now...!!

As you may have noticed by now, I love music.




Now, it's your turn

Write about

The importance of music in your life
The kind of music you like most
Instruments of your liking
The singer, band or group of singers you like
The kind of music that you do not like now, but you liked when you were younger.
The music of films that you remember
Any information you find pertinent to music appreciation

Wordcount: 160 words
Make comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and the teacher's

46 comments:

  1. Mamma Mia is a great movie. I like the songs of the Abba group. My mom listen that music all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javiera,
      I discovered the music and lyrics of ABBA's songs through the movie. I must say that I enjoy the musical interpretation of the songs of the film much more than the original versions of Abba. Funny...
      See you,

      Delete
  2. Chicago has great songs, specially Cell Block Tango

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Evelyn,
      Chicago is a very good film too...
      See you,

      Delete
  3. I really like "mamma mia" and the violin <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graciela,
      Mamma mia is a play that after 20 years of continuous success on stage was taken to a movie. Lucky us...!
      See you,

      Delete
  4. I also enjoy all kind of music, I do not have preferences

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      We are quite democratic as far music is concerned... Good for you...!
      See you,

      Delete
  5. Very good Les miserables, I also enjoyed watching that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geraldine,
      I had watched 2 previous films named Les Miserables from Victor Hugo. I was reluctant to watch the musical and it turned out to be an excellent movie...
      See you,

      Delete
  6. classical music is the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matias,
      Although I like very much some pieces of classical music, I must confess that I've been unable to enjoy some compositions of very famous composers, such as Mahler's.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. I also love music and the guitar is my favorite instrument (I sometimes create songs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bastián,
      The guitar is a very friendly instrument and a good companion in times of loneliness and in times with small groups of friends... Good for you.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. I love play the guitar and play the songs of my favourites bands. My dream is have a musical band with my friends and play in bars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      So, try to make your dream come true...!
      See you,

      Delete
  9. I love musical theatre, for example: Grease, Dirty dancing, Moulin rouge,La la land, among other. The music for me is very important and it gives me happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francisca,
      I see you are fan of musicals...Look for "My fair Lady", you will enjoy it.
      See you,

      Delete
  10. I love the classic music and the soundtrack of the movies .

    definitely the music is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trinidad,
      The soundtrack of movies may be essential in the success of a movie... I've read that the music in the Lord of the Rings has underlying messages to identify good and evil...
      See you,

      Delete

  11. I really like the movie mamma mia, especially when they sing all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matías,
      The music is so lively... The compositions are so smartly used throughout the script of the movie...
      See you,

      Delete
  12. I also like the guitar and the piano, but I can't play one of those instruments, I want to learn to do it :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      You have plenty of time to learn to play the instrument you want... so do it...
      See you,

      Delete
  13. by my own, i really hate musical films, the only one i like is " the lion king".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giselle,
      I'm not a fan of musicals, but some of them are really masterpieces to me, such as Les miserables.
      See you,

      Delete
  14. The movies would be very different maybe boring without music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diego,
      Music plays a major role in films, yet there are famous silent films that have been considered excellent movies, such as The Artist.
      See you,

      Delete
  15. The guitar and the piano are also my favorite instruments. I hope one day I can play one of these instruments very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Camilo,
      Together with the violin, those are my favourite instruments... You have plenty of time to learn how to play one of them.
      See you,

      Delete
  16. the group Bee Gees is very good, especially the song stayin´ alive! jajaj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karolay,
      Have you watched and listened to "One Night Only", it's a very good concert...
      See you,

      Delete
  17. I also like the violin, I tried to learn to play it, but I still not get it, it is very difficult

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tomás,
      The violin seems to be very hard to learn... yet it sounds great.
      See you,

      Delete
  18. What kind of jazz do you like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renato,
      Different kinds, but to mention two Dixieland and swing jazz. What about you?
      See you,

      Delete
  19. Once I went to a piano concert, it was awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana,
      Nice to know. As a student of Universidad of Chile, you can attend to concerts at the theater of the university.
      See you,

      Delete
  20. so beautiful is classical music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fabiola,
      What are you favourite composers? I enjoy compositions of Mozart, Tchaikoski, Vivaldi, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy...
      See you,

      Delete

  21. oh! I also love the movie of "le miserables"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariana,
      If you musicals, try to watch "My fair lady"... You might like it.
      See you,

      Delete

  22. I like classical music a lot, I use it to study, it relaxes me a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Víctor,
      Have you heard "El mercado de Testaccio" de Intillimani? It is an instrumental melody; you get into the market... A little wonder to me.
      It is not classical music, but is very good.
      See you,

      Delete

  23. the influence of music in our lives is incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that the rock and roll it's the best in the world!

    ReplyDelete